Community Group Leader’s Guide
For the week of January 27, 2019
- Complete study guide and pray for your group before they arrive
- Have drinks available
GOALS FOR THE EVENING
- Continue to build relationships
- Pray together
- Discuss a Ministry Project or Social to plan
Submit your group’s attendance online through your email you receive at the conclusion of your meeting.
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
1. If you could master one skill, what would it be?
2. Who in your family is good at keeping calm in the storms of life? How do they do it?
3. Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything you heard for the first time or anything that caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
(This week we are going to focus on one passage in effort to truly dig deeper in the book of Mark. Say: “In this Bible study we will take a look at a story of Jesus and his disciples in a storm – a BIG storm – that caused a lot of stress. We are going to camp out at this passage.)
After reading the passage, discuss the following questions.
Mark 4:35-41 (NIV)
35 That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.” 36 Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37 A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. 38 Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?”
39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.
40 He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?”
41 They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!”
1. Which would frighten you more – the storm or Jesus?
2. What was the tone in Jesus’ voice when he asked, “Do you still have no faith?”
- Other: _____________________
3. How do you react to Jesus when He seems to be asleep in your life?
4. What brings on most of the “storms” in your life?
- Pressures at work
- Family problems
- Hassles in relationships
- Financial difficulties *
- Health problems
- Worry about the future
- Feelings of failure
- Other: ________________________
(This is a great question to bring up the announcement of Financial Peace University)
5. What is the worst personal “storm” you have faced? How did Jesus help?
6. “Quiet! Be still!” If Jesus were to speak these words to you today, what would they mean?
TAKING IT HOME
- As you look at what’s going on in your life right now, can you think of any “storms”? How have you handled it so far?
- Turn to a person I can trust
- Withdraw into myself
- Turn to God
- Get touchy and irritable
- Take charge of things
- Act like nothing is wrong
- Other: _________________
2. Looking back on this week’s teaching and homework, what’s most important for you to remember?
3. The disciples turned to Jesus for help. What stress do you have that you need Jesus to calm? How can the group pray for you?
FINANCIAL PEACE UNIVERSITY
FPU is a nine-lesson course taught by Dave Ramsey and his team of financial experts. Through life-changing videos, online tools and resources, and group accountability, our church members will learn how to create and stick to a budget, save for emergencies, pay off debt, and plan for the future.Classes start on February 10. Click the button below to register!
SEASONS IN THE SUN
Saturday, February 2 at noon to 9pm come to the FREE one day music festival of faith, family & fun and hear an incredible performance by Phil Wickham, Urban D & more! There will be food trucks, local vendors, kid-friendly activities and fireworks at the conclusion. All proceeds raised will go to Believer’s World Outreach to send teens who have a heart for the mission field. This amazing event is hosted at Water Works Park: 1710 N. Highland Ave., Tampa
February 4 Discipleship Bible study will begin. Here you’ll gain a deeper understanding of God’s Word, apply His Word to your life, and encourage others through sharing life experiences and intentional accountability. To register, please click here and select the Book (One, Two, or Three) where you’d like to begin and the best day/time to meet with a group. Email Lauren@stfchurch.com with any questions.
WAYS TO SERVE
West Florida Foster Care– We would love for you to connect with and support West FL Foster care families. Through your Community Group you can adopt a family and provide the care they need in order to navigate through the process of foster care and meet their needs.