Community Group Homework
For the week of March 24, 2019
1. This weekend we heard about the importance of fearing God. How would you describe your understanding and experience of the fear of God over the years?
2. Would you say most people have a tendency to focus too much on the fear of God or the love of God?
3. Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there a particular point, verse or comment that caught your attention, challenged you or raised a question?
After reading the following passage, answer the questions.
Mark 11:27-33 New International Version (NIV)
27 They arrived again in Jerusalem, and while Jesus was walking in the temple courts, the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders came to him. 28 “By what authority are you doing these things?” they asked. “And who gave you authority to do this?”
29 Jesus replied, “I will ask you one question. Answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I am doing these things. 30 John’s baptism—was it from heaven, or of human origin? Tell me!”
31 They discussed it among themselves and said, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will ask, ‘Then why didn’t you believe him?’ 32 But if we say, ‘Of human origin’ …” (They feared the people, for everyone held that John really was a prophet.)
33 So they answered Jesus, “We don’t know.”
Jesus said, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.”
1. What “things” has Jesus been doing? What about these things would worry the chief priests? (Look back through the chapter for help)
2. What interests are they trying to protect from Jesus’ probing question? Why does Jesus evade their question?
3. The religious leaders in Jerusalem considered Jesus a threat. Have you ever felt like Jesus was a threat to you? Why?
A healthy “fear of God” moves us to action. Read how the fear of God impacts the people’s actions in the following verses.
Mark 12:41-44 New International Version (NIV)
41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.
43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”
1. What kind of faith did the widow possess in order to give the way she did?
2. Can you think of any examples from your own life of how your fear of God resulted in similar outcomes or responses? If so, explain.
3. Satan would love to use fear to keep us from moving toward God. How does Romans 5:1-5 help us remain confident and experience God’s love?
TAKING IT HOME
1. When it comes right down to it, whose opinion do you care about more – God’s or people’s? How does that show?
2. What people, things or events led you to recognize Jesus’ authority? what authority does He have (or demand) now?
3. Ask yourself and pray regarding your response to the following question: “Where is my fear of God, compared to my love for God?”
Mens Softball Outreach –
It’s for men age 16 and older.
• Games will be played Friday evenings.
• The cost is $45 per player — includes jersey, bats, and balls.
• Our league will play against other churches in the Tampa Bay area
The opening game is April 5 at the field in Gadsden Park (6901 S. MacDill Ave., Tampa 33611.) Bring your family and friends, and invite your neighbors to come and be a part of the fellowship.
Spring Fling –
Spring Fling is coming! Spring Fling is a fun event for the whole family, filled with games, food trucks, and fellowship. We’ll meet in the field behind Ballast Point Elementary from 5-7 on Sunday, March 31. Bring your favorite picnic gear, Frisbees, footballs, some cash for food – and be ready to eat and have a great time.
WAYS TO SERVE
Feed The Bay – On Sunday, March 31, each church congregation will be given a grocery list at their worship services. Leaders of each church will challenge their congregation to leave the church and go shop at participating Publix Super Markets or other stores closest to their home between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. for the benefit of those in need in our communities. Go to www.feedthebay.org for more information or to learn how you can volunteer that day.
VBS Into The Wild!
Join us on our adventure Into The Wild? Click one of the buttons below to volunteer for VBS 2019.