COMMUNITY GROUP STUDY GUIDE
For the week of November 28, 2021
1. These past few weeks we have been learning about generosity. Use this space to record how The Lord has been generous to you this past week. How has He provided, answered, comforted, restored, or guided you?
2. In our “Generous Life” series, we have thought about our legacy in generosity (its a lifestyle, not a ‘one and done’ deal), our motives for being generous (not doing it out of obligation but joy); God’s perspective on generosity (test Him and see that He is good!) and then the complete opposite of being generous. Which lesson challenged you the most and why?
Review Matthew 25:14-30 and answer the following questions.
Matthew 25:14-30 New Living Translation
14 “Again, the Kingdom of Heaven can be illustrated by the story of a man going on a long trip. He called together his servants and entrusted his money to them while he was gone. 15 He gave five bags of silver to one, two bags of silver to another, and one bag of silver to the last—dividing it in proportion to their abilities. He then left on his trip.
16 “The servant who received the five bags of silver began to invest the money and earned five more. 17 The servant with two bags of silver also went to work and earned two more. 18 But the servant who received the one bag of silver dug a hole in the ground and hid the master’s money.
19 “After a long time their master returned from his trip and called them to give an account of how they had used his money. 20 The servant to whom he had entrusted the five bags of silver came forward with five more and said, ‘Master, you gave me five bags of silver to invest, and I have earned five more.’
21 “The master was full of praise. ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’
22 “The servant who had received the two bags of silver came forward and said, ‘Master, you gave me two bags of silver to invest, and I have earned two more.’
23 “The master said, ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’
24 “Then the servant with the one bag of silver came and said, ‘Master, I knew you were a harsh man, harvesting crops you didn’t plant and gathering crops you didn’t cultivate. 25 I was afraid I would lose your money, so I hid it in the earth. Look, here is your money back.’
26 “But the master replied, ‘You wicked and lazy servant! If you knew I harvested crops I didn’t plant and gathered crops I didn’t cultivate, 27 why didn’t you deposit my money in the bank? At least I could have gotten some interest on it.’
28 “Then he ordered, ‘Take the money from this servant, and give it to the one with the ten bags of silver. 29 To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away. 30 Now throw this useless servant into outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
1. Jesus calls us to live each day with humble awareness that He has left us with important kingdom work to do. What spiritual treasure has God allotted to you, and how are you responding to His gracious gifts?
2. Which of the following statements describes how you feel about the way you are “investing” your life?
- I am quite satisfied
- I’d like to make some changes
- I’m not sure what it means to invest my life
- I’m not being very responsible in this area
- I feel like I’m on hold
TAKING IT HOME
1. Jesus Himself is the dividing line that separates people across the ages into two distinct groups. The serious reality of eternal judgment and reality of eternal salvation are the two outcomes awaiting mankind. How does this impact you? How are you representing Jesus and helping the people in your circle of influence prepare to meet Him?
2. If the Master returned today, how much of your talents and potential would He say you are using for Him right now?
- Sorry you asked
- Maybe 5%
- I would say 50%
- I’m giving it all I got
- Other _____________________
How can this group support you in prayer this week?