Community Group Homework
For the week of May 12, 2019
1. What is on the top of your “to do” list when preparing for company?
2. Comparing your personality to the two people we learned about this week, which of them are you more like?
- Martha – responsible and uptight
- Mary – carefree and laid-back
3. Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything you heard for the first time or that caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
(Review this past week’s passage of Mary and Martha by reading Luke 10:38-42)
1. In the story of the Prodigal Son, the focus is often on the younger brother who takes his inheritance and leaves home. However, the older son who stayed home also had his own issues as we read in Luke 15:24-31. After reading the passage, answer the following questions:
How is the older brother’s response similar to Martha’s response?
What are some behaviors and attitudes that might indicate we are on the same path as the older brother or Martha?
How do you think serving God can become a distraction from “choosing what is better”?
2. As we heard this weekend, Martha missed a great opportunity to learn from Jesus because she was so focused on her responsibilities. Unfortunately, life’s distractions often cause us to focus our time on less important tasks. What priorities do the following verses encourage us to engage in and not put off until a more “convenient” time?
Looking back at what you wrote above, is there anyone you need to talk to or any action you need to take to make these priorities more a part of your life?
3. If you had to choose either Mary or Martha for the following situations, who would you choose:
- For a close, trustworthy friend, I would choose . . .
- For someone to work for, I would choose . . .
- For someone to work for me I would choose . . .
- For some to look after my estate, I would choose . . .
TAKING IT HOME
1. How do you seek to serve others while also keeping God-given priorities?
2. What “one thing is needed” for you to take some stress out of your life?
- I need a “Martha” to do all my work for me
- I need to be more reflective, like Mary.
- I need to learn more about Christ and what he says is important.
- I need to be closer to Christ
- Other ______________________________________________
3. Reflecting on the passage about Mary and Martha, where do you feel most conflicted listening to and serving Jesus? How can the group pray for you in this regard?
For The Women: Night Of Gathering
May 19th, from 7:00 to 8:45 p.m. at the Ballast Point Campus. This gathering Is an awesome way to reach out and include others. Please join us for table conversations, refreshments, and more!
For the Men: Wednesday Morning Bible Study
Wednesday mornings from 6:45-7:45 at our BP Campus, Pastor JJ, or occasionally one of the other STF pastors, leads men of all ages through a time of prayer and Bible study.
For the Chaos:
Celebrate Recovery: crtampa.com
Every Thursday Night Including all holidays at the BP campus. Completely confidential.
- 5:30 – 6:15 PM
Dinner Full Dinner $6.00; Salad and Soup $3.00; Grilled Cheese $2; Children under 5 Eat Free
- 6:30 – 8:30PM
Large Group CR worship, followed by either a teaching or a testimony (which alternate). Small groups for discussion, gender and issues specific.
- 8:30 – 9:00 PM
Coffeehouse This is a time for fellowship and for meeting new people. Light refreshments are served with soft drinks and coffee. This is free for everyone.