Community Group Study Guide
For the week of November 3, 2019
1. Who is the best leader you’ve ever personally been around? What did that person do that caused you to consider him or her to be a good leader?
2. What tv personality do you appreciate for his or her uplifting words? What tv personality don’t you appreciate? Why?
3. Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
Begin this week’s study by reading James 3.
1. We live in a day of age where everyone wants to be the teacher, an expert, give advice, have an opinion. Why is it such a big responsibility to be a teacher, especially of the Scripture?
2. One careless comment can lead someone else into depression, destroy a relationship, or ruin someone else’s life. In everyday conversation, how seriously do you take verse 9?
3. How can you recognize a wise person (v.13)? What two behaviors indicate a lack of wisdom (v. 16)
4. What does heavenly wisdom produce?
TAKING IT HOME
1. How do verses 2 and 10 make you feel about your tongue? How will they prompt you to pray?
2. What qualities in verse 17 do you most need to develop in your life?
3. Think about a time harsh words hurt you. Now consider the influence your words have on your children, your neighbors, your students, your friends. You have great power in your mouth. Power to do good or to do harm. How could you help or harm people by what you say this week? How can the group pray for you in light of your response?